What is the most frequent HVAC problem to encounter this time of year?This time of the year, the most common problem to encounter is a dirty flame sensor in the heating system, which causes the burner not to stay lit. In this situation, the gas supply must be turned off. Cleaning key components and making a few adjustments may be all that is required.
Are colder regions more likely to experience HVAC problems?Colder regions are more likely to experience more frequent issues with their heating system due to the amount of use the unit has. Professional inspection and routine maintenance at least once a year is the best way to ensure the safe, efficient operation of heating and air conditioning systems.
What are some common signs and symptoms of HVAC maintenance is needed?The following are the most common signs that your furnace may need maintenance:
- When the thermostat is dropping below the thermostat set point
- Dirt and debris around supply vents in the home
- Low humidity in a home
- Equipment running too long
- Excessive energy consumption
- Unit cycling on and off in short increments
- Home does not feel as comfortable as it should
Can homeowners prolong the life of their HVAC system?Absolutely! All manufacturers recommend you have your equipment serviced each year to keep it performing to its maximum efficiency and safety. In some cases, we can find issues that have not yet failed but are in need of repair before it becomes major problem. Having a professional cleaning, adjustment of any necessary controls and a complete safety check are all ways you can prolong the life of your heating or air conditioning systems.
What are some factors a homeowner should consider when they are thinking of replacing their HVAC system?
- How old is the equipment?
- If there is an equipment issue, how large is the repair to the equipment?
- How many times has the system broken down in the past year?
- What are the new efficiency savings that could be expected with a new system?
- Would the savings of replacing the system pay for the cost of the new equipment?